Travelling can be pricey, but many experienced travellers will tell you – it all depends how you manage your expenses. Visiting a new city is very exciting, so how can you discover one without spending tons of money? Europe especially, is one of the most expensive continents to explore. Well, thankfully there are some places that have FREE city tours in Europe.
How are they free may you ask? The tour guides are young volunteers who are in love with their city, and work for free (with the possibility of receiving voluntary tips.) Here’s a list of cities in Europe with tour companies which will take you around town and enlighten you with interesting cultural facts:
1. Ljubljana, Slovenia – Click here for more information
- Prešeren Square – Butchers Bridge – Plečnik’s Market – Dragon Bridge- Town Square – Town Hall – Robba Fountain – Cobblers’ Bridge – National Library – Congress Square
- Republic square – Knez Mihajlova street – Bohemian quarter – Green Market – Silicon Valley – Mosque – Kalemegdan Park- Belgrade Fortress – Oldest Kafana – Cathedral Church
- Palace of Justice (Sudebna Palata) – Sveta Nedelya Church – Coat of arms of Sofia – Statue of Sofia – Church of St.Petka – Largo Square ruins – Banya Bashi Mosque – Sofia Synagogue – Bath/Museum of Sofia – Mineral Waters – Council of Ministers- Former Communist Party Headquarters – Presidency – Rotunda of St.George – City Garden – National Theatre Ivan Vazov – National Gallery- Russian Church and Military Club – St.Sophia Basilica – St.Alexander Nevski Cathedral
- Piazza della Signoria Square – David statue by Michelangelo – Ponte Vecchio – Pitti Palace – Vasarian Corridor – Piazza Santo Spirito
- Plaza Catalunya – Las Ramblas – Santa Maria Del Pi – The Gothic Quarter – Plaça De Sant Felip Neri – The Jewish Quarter – The Cathedral – Roman Ruins – Plaça Del Reí – Picasso Murals – The Spanish Inquisition
Discovery Walks Tour Guide company offers 7 different free walking tours:
- Montmartre tour – Trendy Marais Tour – Paris Landmarks Tour – Notre Dame Tour – Latin Quatre Left Bank Tour – Saint-Germain and The River – Hidden Gems and secret Paris Tour –
- Hadrians Arch – Temple Of Olympian Zeus – National Gardens – Statue Of General Karaiskakis – Panathinaiko Stadium – Greek House Of Parliament Syntagma Square – Changing Of The Guard Ceremony – University – Mitropoleos Cathedral – Plaka – Monastiraki – Roman Agora With View To Acropolis – Thiseo and Temple of Hephaistos – Mars Hill Views – Acropolis Views – Ancient Theatre Odeion Of Herodes Atticus – Theatre Of Dionysus
- Westminster Abbey – Big Ben – Buckingham Palace – St. James’s Palace – Houses of Parliament – Trafalgar Square – Nelson’s Column – Covent Garden – Horse Guards Parade
Free Walking Tour Prague offers 4 different types of tours:
- Prague Old Town – Prague Castle and Charles Bridge – Prague New Town – Prague Zizkov – Prague Vyšehrad
10. Berlin, Germany – Click here for more information
- Brandenburg Gate – Murdered Jews of Europe Memorial – Hitler’s Bunker – Former American Sector – Gendarmenmarkt – Berlin Wall – TV Tower
- The City Hall – Christiansborg Palace – The Old City Center – Nyhavn Harbour – The Royal Palace of Amalienborg
There are 8 different tours offered by Trip to Budapest tours:
- The original tour – The Afternoon tour – Evening walk – The Communist tour – Jewish District Walk – Street & Urban Art Tour – Avenue & Heroes Square Walk –
- Budapest Tour : – Basílica de San Esteban – Palacio de Gresham- Plaza Vigadó – Académia Húngara de Ciencias – Plaza de Elisabeth – Puente de las Cadenas – Barrio del Castillo (Palacio Real, Iglesia de Matías y Bastión de los Pescadores)
- Kremlin – Red Square – St.Basil Basilica – Varvarka Street – Lenin Mausoleum – Senate Palace – GUM – Alexander Garden – Tomb of Unknown Solider
- Baščaršija Square – Sebilj Foutain – Oldest Street in Sarajevo – Old Orthodox Church – Cathedral of Sacred Jesus’ Heart – Synagogue – Gazi Husrev-bey Mosque – Clock Tower – Caravan Saray – Old Madraasa – Bazaar – Meeting of Cultures Spot – Sarajevo Roses – Hotel Europe – Assasination Spot – Latin bridge
- Classic tour : The Red Light-district – VOC headquarters – University – Begijnhof – Canal Belt Area
- Alternative free tour: Spui Straat – Negen straatjes – Homo monument – Anne Frank House – Tulip Museum – Jordaan – Alternative Red light District
The Free Walking Tour company in Krakow offers 6 different types of tours!
- Old Town Krakow- Holocaust Traces Tour – World War II Tour – Jewish Krakow Tour – Street Art Tour
- Tallin Old Town Tour ( all attraction points not listed on site)
- Manuc’s Inn – Dracula’s Old Court – Stavropoleos Church – Victoria Avenue – Villa Cross Passage – National Bank of Romania – Lipscani Street – University Square – Coltea – Saint George Church – Manuc’s Inn
- Vilnus Old Town – Vilnius Town Hall – Užupis Republic –
- Edinburgh Castle – The Royal Mile – St Giles’ Cathedral – Mercat Cross – Old & New Towns – Greyfriars Kirkyard & Greyfriars Bobby – Grassmarket – William Wallace & The Stone of Destiny – The birthplace of Harry Potter – The original “Hogwarts” – Covenanters’ Prison – National Museum of Scotland – Martyrs’ Memorial – The Scottish Enlightenment
- Plaza Mayor – Puerta Del Sol – The Royal Palace – The Cathedral – La Opera – Congress – Callao – The Spanish Inquisition – Barefoot Sister’s Convent – Plaza De Santa Ana – Spanish Civil Warm- Cervantes – La Movida Madrileña – Y Mucho Mas!
- University, Carmo and Carmelitas churches – Piolho cafe – Clérigos tower- Cordoaria garden – the Courthouse and former prison – Vitória view point – Virtudes garden- Miragaia neighborhood – S.Francisco church – Palácio da Bolsa – Praça do Infante.
Time management is also an important part of travel planning! Within 2.5- 3hrs you can see the most popular, important and interesting attractions. However, please keep in mind there are some attraction points which charge an entrance fee, so it is up to you to visit them after. Planning your next Euro trip? Make sure to take advantage of these free city tours!
Read more: 7 Things To Do During Your Trip To Venice